Coil location MKII

Looking for any info on: exact location of coil bracket on firewall, clamps used, etc... Thanks in advance
Coil bracket.

Attachments

• AMGTXGT2MK2.jpeg
    AMGTXGT2MK2.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 140
  • AMGTXGT2MK2Here.jpeg
    AMGTXGT2MK2Here.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 113

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Be aware, oil filled coils don't like to be sit horizontal. They need to sit vertical.
Quite true, the coils will overheat and burn up windings when on their side.
I thought that the GT‘s used epoxy filled coils that can be in any orientation..

I did notice different slot counts on the mount pictured. Dave, the mount you built has four, pictures posted in color have two. Four presents a more robust solution.
Anyway, oil filled coils placed horizontial was standard, coil bolted to the intake manifold on early 221, 260 and 289 Ford engines. Ford then changed to vertical, bolted to the right head. Maybe Ford was warranting alot of coils until a failure issue manifested itself. An epoxy filled coil is the way to go.

This is the coil on Mk1 1040 , looks like they have same location for the ones mounted on bulkhead. Looks like coil bracket is riveted to bulkhead.

Attachments

• Coil1040.png
    Coil1040.png
    889.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 1046Coil.jpeg
    1046Coil.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 77
Did all the MK IIs have the “XE” tachometer drive distributor as well? That might explain some of the other cables you see running across the front of the engine bay.

Note P1040 is a MK I small block car.

Yes 1040 is a mk1 small block but that does not mean the coil is in a different place. In the photos I posted they are clearly in the same spot and that was my point in posting the mk1 photo.

Agree David.
I suspect I have overlooked that part a number of times. It looks like it is constructed the same way that the mounts for the Girling brake/clutch fluid reservoirs are. I’m guessing I have overlooked the title of the drawing.

Yes it is constructed the same way as the reservoirs ( made both in my build log ). I posted three mk2 photos, one mk1 and gave the car numbers.

Posts #18 and #20 for anyone else that is curious to see Davids handy work.

Ryan

Closeup of clamps. I don't know the history of these clamps but they are from the restoration of 1028 Mk1, used on the fuel pumps, coil and brake-clutch reservoirs. I doubt the Mk2 used something else, looks like the same clamps to me.

Attachments

• Jubilee-Clamp.jpg
    Jubilee-Clamp.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 37
Back