Randy's RCR40 MKI

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Another puzzle solved. I bought the RCR bundle of snakes (thank you to whoever it was that cancelled their order). They fit my Prestige 302/363 perfectly. I was able to flush up all the header tube flange bolts with my fingers. No tools needed for the test fit. So far it doesn’t look like I will have any clearance issues.

My plan is to use straight pipes with Zoomie cut outs. The cut outs will redirect the exhaust to ‘Suit Case Boxes’ which will have mufflers inside and then go back to the straight pipes.

Hoping someone has already done something similar and can share their experience.

IMG_3724.jpeg

1716138407255.png

Vinny P

Supporter
Looking good Randy, check the clearance on the headers between the clamshell and upper pipe, either the pipe or the clamshell will need to be modified. Also the valve covers are a bit tall and the valve cover vents will also touch the clamshell.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Looking good Randy, check the clearance on the headers between the clamshell and upper pipe, either the pipe or the clamshell will need to be modified. Also the valve covers are a bit tall and the valve cover vents will also touch the clamshell.
Vinny,
Thx much for the info. I am guessing that there is some history with RCR’s pipes and rear clip clearance. I wonder if that applies to both 302 and 351 based builds. I am running a 302/363. I also chose the MK1 rear clip and my understanding is that clip has less head room than the MK2. Maybe I can replace the 9-hole plate with a scoop to increase head room.

I will be replacing the valve cover vents with angled hose connections to a muck tank.
Cheers, Randy

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Now I need to decide if I will treat the aluminum billet suspension components.

Choices are (in no particular order)
  • Natural
  • Clear coat
  • Anodized
  • Ceramic coating
  • Powder coated
I am leaning towards ceramic because it won’t obscure the logos and it is durable. Hoping others share their experience and opinions.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The problem with paints and coatings on suspension components is that those coatings can mask cracks / fractures until they totally fail. Anodizing might be the best route here.

Vinny P

Supporter
Vinny,
Thx much for the info. I am guessing that there is some history with RCR’s pipes and rear clip clearance. I wonder if that applies to both 302 and 351 based builds. I am running a 302/363. I also chose the MK1 rear clip and my understanding is that clip has less head room than the MK2. Maybe I can replace the 9-hole plate with a scoop to increase head room.

I will be replacing the valve cover vents with angled hose connections to a muck tank.
Cheers, Randy
On my MK1 clamshell the pipe touches just between the window and the 9 hole plate.

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20231109_161519.jpg
    20231109_161519.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 84

Randy Folsom

Supporter
On my MK1 clamshell the pipe touches just between the window and the 9 hole plate.
Well that’s not good. If I remember correctly, you have a 351w/427 which has a higher deck height than the 302. Theoretically, the pipes on the 302 should be lower by about an inch, assuming that the pipe routing and clearances are about the same. I hope that is enough such that I don’t have to modify either the clip or pipes.

I think it’s very dependent on how the pipes are configured. I have a 351W based motor and my pipes have good clearance to the clam.

Vinny P

Supporter
Well that’s not good. If I remember correctly, you have a 351w/427 which has a higher deck height than the 302. Theoretically, the pipes on the 302 should be lower by about an inch, assuming that the pipe routing and clearances are about the same. I hope that is enough such that I don’t have to modify either the clip or pipes.
I think it’s very dependent on how the pipes are configured. I have a 351W based motor and my pipes have good clearance to the clam.
Did you buy your snakes from RCR?

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Agree, but one would think that RCR had that figured out. I have seen pipes that work just fine. These pipes might work in an SLC or something and that’s why RCR has them for sale.

Vinny P

Supporter
Where did get your pipes?
I got my pipes from RCR and it seems that everyone who purchased snakes from RCR has this issue, I would think that they would have it sorted out by now, I'm finding out apparently along with other issues they have not updated or improved the design on their cars and components much in 18 years. They have to know that these snakes are an issue, right?

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Randy & Vinny,
Regarding those pipes to rear clam interference. Last year, I contacted RCR because of this very same issue with my 302/363, and showed them what they could do to correct it. It's the #3 pipe on the LH side that is too high. They asked me to return them in order to put them on a car they were building at the moment. Their response afterward was that they didn't see a big issue with the minimal (no) clearance and that I could always just cut a piece out of the fiberglass because that's what they did on the originals. I then suggested that they could offer 2 different versions of these pipes. One set for those of us who want to melt the fiberglass like the originals did, and another set for those of us who don't. Oh well. So I brought mine back home, bought a piece of stainless pipe and had a welder friend reconfigure/lower that pipe. I now went from 0 clearance to about 3/4" and, with an aluminum heat shield attached to the underside of the clam, am hoping it won't be an issue.
Now don't get me wrong, I like RCR. My experiences with Fran & Bill have been exempliary and I love my RCR40 MK1. They just need to fix the damn pipes!
Rod

Vinny P

Supporter
Nice car Michael! I like the color. Your pipes are not RCR or at least not the same design as Randy's, Rod's, and mine. Your pipe is almost even at the top, our crossover (#3) is a pipe thickness higher like Rod said about 3/4" difference.

Back