SPF Halibrand Wine Glass Style Wheel Casting Pin Holes Leaking

Leonard L

Supporter
Have had two SPF Halibrand GT40 Wine Glass style wheels leaks through porous pin holes in casting. Is this a common problem?

Attachments

• Close Up.jpg
    Close Up.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Wheel Leak Porous Holes.jpg
    Wheel Leak Porous Holes.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Wheels Compare.jpg
    Wheels Compare.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 77

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
To which Quality standard/spec are these SA wheels certified ?

Normally X-Ray of low pressure aluminium castings is a bare minimum, as porosity is a fail.

Morten

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don’t think that’s quite the norm or acceptable by today’s standard…
Back in the day, it was not uncommon to have wheels that leaked. But given that the racing tires used were mounted as tubeless and those tires were porous, leakage was common and actually expected. I recall cleaning the wheel rim inside with lacquer thinner and painting them with oil based enamel (Rustoleum) to stop the wheel from contributing to the leak. To slow the leakage from the tires, we would wipe down the inside of the tires with Ivory Liquid dish soap. We were only running 23-25 PSI in those tires, so it would not take but a handful of hours for the “untreated” tires to go flat. Oddly, we had no issues with flats while the cars were on the track..

Leonard L

Supporter
The wheel shown the the posted photos was the replacement sent to me from SPF, as the original wheel that came on the car would only hold air about 7 days and looked to have been repaired. These photos are of that wheel are of the original wheel that came on the car. Hard to believe I could get two leaking wheels. The replacement wheels held air for only 20 minutes after being mounted and balanced. If I can find someone local to x-ray them I will have it done to see just how porous these flawed castings really are. I do have a set of the Forgeline Halibrand style with Falken tires on them and it seems best not to use these cast SPF Halibrands at speeds and rear wheel torque, just for show.

Attachments

• Wheel Faulty Repair 1.2.jpg
    Wheel Faulty Repair 1.2.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Wheel Leak Faulty Repair Photo 1.1.jpg
    Wheel Leak Faulty Repair Photo 1.1.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Wheel Underwater Leaking 1.4.jpg
    Wheel Underwater Leaking 1.4.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 81

Neil

Supporter
The wheel shown the the posted photos was the replacement sent to me from SPF, as the original wheel that came on the car would only hold air about 7 days and looked to have been repaired. These photos are of that wheel are of the original wheel that came on the car. Hard to believe I could get two leaking wheels. The replacement wheels held air for only 20 minutes after being mounted and balanced. If I can find someone local to x-ray them I will have it done to see just how porous these flawed castings really are. I do have a set of the Forgeline Halibrand style with Falken tires on them and it seems best not to use these cast SPF Halibrands at speeds and rear wheel torque, just for show.
Back in the Can-Am days we painted the inside of our magnesium wheels with GE "Glyptal" to seal their porosity.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, 20 minutes is a bit excessive…
If the manufacturer is not willing to exchange them, I would first ensure that they are reasonably safe. Aircraft Engine Inspection companies used to use a dye process called Zyglow inspection. Contact a local Aircraft FBO for recommendations. As Neil also points out, leaks were common with Magnesium and Alloy wheels.
Meanwhile - Your plan to use the more modern Forgeline wheels sounds like a good one.

Leonard L

Supporter
Would like to have one of the wheels x-rayed or Zyglow as you described before shipping them back just to know what the actually look like inside the casting...out of pure curiosity. The Falken-Forgeline set up is primo and changes the car in many ways especially the ride and steering. The Halibrand-Firestone looks the most amazing strikingly period for the as the car was done to emulate the Andretti/Bianchi car. I posted a couple of photos that demonstrate the similarities and differences also. Lance at SPF is being very proactive in taking care that I get a tested wheel to me and ready for the Avantas on the Green Event June 30th and the 60th Reunion in July. it sounds liked my 2 wheel experience is very rare and I am grateful for this site to at least get feedback that it does seem to be the case that these wheels are predictably safe and trouble free. I did include a video short just to show that when they leak you will for sure know it!

Attachments

• Replacement Wheel Leak 1.4.jpg
    Replacement Wheel Leak 1.4.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Forgeline-Falken vs Halibrand Firestone.jpg
    Forgeline-Falken vs Halibrand Firestone.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Falkens-Forgeline.jpg
    Falkens-Forgeline.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 52
  • #6 GT40 w Firestones.jpg
    #6 GT40 w Firestones.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 54
Great looking car in both guises Leonard.
I hope you get it sorted. Good to hear that SPF is looking after you as well.

I wonder could you get some liquid latex sealant to add into the tire carcass. I know on my MTB we run a sealant that congeals when exposed to and air pressure change. It is able to plug leaks and holes in the tire.

This is the bike stuff. Generally we don't get much above 80km/h

I don't know if someone makes an automotive equivalent. I'm not sure how reliable it would be at the rotational speed you get in a car wheel.

I like the idea of treating the wheel in some way to seal in small porous holes. Would be better than getting a flat and destroying a tire due to low pressure. Guess you need to assess the risks.

Ryan

Leonard L

Supporter
Great looking car in both guises Leonard.
I hope you get it sorted. Good to hear that SPF is looking after you as well.

I wonder could you get some liquid latex sealant to add into the tire carcass. I know on my MTB we run a sealant that congeals when exposed to and air pressure change. It is able to plug leaks and holes in the tire.

This is the bike stuff. Generally we don't get much above 80km/h

I don't know if someone makes an automotive equivalent. I'm not sure how reliable it would be at the rotational speed you get in a car wheel.

I like the idea of treating the wheel in some way to seal in small porous holes. Would be better than getting a flat and destroying a tire due to low pressure. Guess you need to assess the risks.

Ryan
Hi Ryan, Funny you mention this as it seems, as an added protection, even on wheels that are not currently leaking, some kind of rubber wheel band like the ones Coker has to keep spoked wheels from leaking and a barrier to the spokes in case a tube is used. it would just need to be wider than what their selling so that it can cover more of the inner wheels at 8 and 10 inches,

Had the same problem on the magnesium wheels on a Bizzarini 5300 we had in the 1990's. We painted/coated the rim with a catalyzed marine resin (West System Epoxy Resin) and that solved the leaking.

That said, that was a Sunday driver. Would have never taken it on the track with that porosity in the wheels.

Back in the early 80's when I built my ERA 427 Cobra (# 076) I had Halibrand pin drive knock off wheels. I used oil based paint to brush coat the inside of the wheels, inboard of the tire beads and never had an air leak. Might have used 2 coats but that was a long time ago... o_O

Back