Clam latches?

Are there any alternatives out there for Hartwell (reproduction) latches? I;m having a hard time convincing myself that a set of four is worth $1000. My Active Performance project came with s set of McMaster Carr latches, but they look a little cheap.

100% agree that the Hartwells are a complete rip, because they can. I looked for alternatives as well and came up empty. Following

This is what Chris shipped with the car. Functional, but not quite up to the standards for what my build will be. Thanks for the input!
IMG_1916.jpeg
IMG_1915.jpeg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
SARMA Latches are out there, but exceedingly difficult to find.
Aviation related wreckers / suppliers are good places to search. Also, forums that involve the EAA (many aviation builders are there) might also be of help..

Attachments

• IMG_6138.jpeg
    IMG_6138.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 136
I don't think anything will look right except "Hartwell" latches. Tornadohas some good repro's , but shipping would be a costly pain. I put an email in to RCR to see what their availability is, and I want to make sure they look like Hartwell latches. Probaby gonna just have to bit the bullet and spend the extra money to make things look right. I need the latches to move forward on body fitment.

Tornado is across the pond, RCR is 4-6 weeks out, its at least $1K for a set...there has to be an alternative that is functional and looks the part, but I haven;t found it yet.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Or just fit original Hartwell latches from an EE Lightning or a Tornado fighterjet, which are plentiful on ebay…

These Hartwells will save you a ton of work by not altering all the bodywork to fit garden gate latches.

Morten

Back