Patching unused bolt holes in Aluminum

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If I can’t figure out how to MIG weld aluminum, a driven rivet could be a good option. Thx much for the suggestion.
You better get lots and lots of practice on the same thickness and alloy aluminum before you attack that chassis with a welder like that. I’ve been welding for over 50 years and I don’t think I would be comfortable taking a spool gun to the RCR chassis without a ton of practice first…

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy is it just for appearance reasons that you want to fill the holes.
Yes, just appearance. There is no structural compromise. It’s a great way to spend time working on the car without making any progress :) It’s all about the challenge and an excuse to learn new skills. And I should mention all the great feedback and conversation.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
You better get lots and lots of practice on the same thickness and alloy aluminum before you attack that chassis with a welder like that. I’ve been welding for over 50 years and I don’t think I would be comfortable taking a spool gun to the RCR chassis without a ton of practice first…
Randy, I went to a metal supplier today and picked up a few pounds of aluminum cut offs of various thickness. However, I figure that as long as I don’t blow holes in the surrounding structure, I can always resort to your suggestion of using a threaded plug and epoxy putty. Cheers, Randy

Steven Lobel

Supporter
This thread is bad. We all know it is not about just fixing a few little holes.

I have the HF Vulcan Omnipro 220. After reading this thread I now have researched the coupons and:

25% off coupon for:

15% off coupon specific for:

None of it necessary. But all of it essential for mental health. Build the car to build it. Drive it to show you built it. I NEED to learn to weld aluminum. And I love tools. Yes, I have a Wilton C3. My name is Steve and I have a problem.

Get the welder. Learn new skills. If you are building a car that is $100,000 minimum all in, there is no excuse.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
This thread is bad. We all know it is not about just fixing a few little holes.

I have the HF Vulcan Omnipro 220. After reading this thread I now have researched the coupons and:

25% off coupon for:

15% off coupon specific for:

None of it necessary. But all of it essential for mental health. Build the car to build it. Drive it to show you built it. I NEED to learn to weld aluminum. And I love tools. Yes, I have a Wilton C3. My name is Steve and I have a problem.

Get the welder. Learn new skills. If you are building a car that is $100,000 minimum all in, there is no excuse.
EXACTLY!

I ended up buying this one from Northern Tool. It was listed at $1,000 but is on sale and I got an open box discount and 10% military discount so only paid $494. It includes a spool gun, MIG & TIG torches, stick holder, foot pedal, and gas regulator.

IMG_3695.jpeg

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Look up a company called Devcon Compounds !!!
Bill, I might order some of their liquid aluminum just to have it available. Certainly can use it if my attempts to weld fail. I wonder if it can be used with Carbon Fiber or Kevlar to make parts such as brackets. It says that it has low viscosity so it might be able to soak into the fibers. Cheers, Randy

Joel K

Supporter
EXACTLY!

I ended up buying this one from Northern Tool. It was listed at $1,000 but is on sale and I got an open box discount and 10% military discount so only paid $494. It includes a spool gun, MIG & TIG torches, stick holder, foot pedal, and gas regulator.

View attachment 138840
Randy,

I didn’t look closely at the specs, but to do TIG aluminum the unit needs to run AC current. DC is for steel and stainless. AC is for aluminum to break up the oxide. If it is a DC only unit you can’t weld aluminum with TIG or stick. Not sure about MIG with a spool gun.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy,

I didn’t look closely at the specs, but to do TIG aluminum the unit needs to run AC current. DC is for steel and stainless. AC is for aluminum to break up the oxide. If it is a DC only unit you can’t weld aluminum with TIG or stick. Not sure about MIG with a spool gun.
I am planning to MIG with the spool gun. An AC welder is out of my price range. I did find this about TIG welding aluminum with DC, but that level of expertise is way out of my league.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
The only other thing about welding up those holes is that I may be a little concerned about the effects of the heat, In some cases it can cause other issues.

Do you have a buddy with a tig? He could knock those out in a few minutes... And he'd enjoy being part of a cool project

Randy Folsom

Supporter
The only other thing about welding up those holes is that I may be a little concerned about the effects of the heat, In some cases it can cause other issues.
Bill, thx for the guidance. To avoid heat build up, I plan on doing a series of tack welds and the welds don’t need much penetration since the patch is cosmetic. Cheers, Randy

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Do you have a buddy with a tig? He could knock those out in a few minutes... And he'd enjoy being part of a cool project
Dave, I do, and I am sure he would be happy to, but then I wouldn’t have an excuse to buy a welder and learn how to use it :) Cheers, Randy

EXACTLY!

View attachment 138840
Randy let us know how that Klutch welder works out, not just for the hole repair but down the road a few years as you get to know it. I'm not looking for one I'm just interested, have MIG and TIG AC/DC.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Randy,

It sounds like you figured it out but I'll toss another vote for the "Buy an AC TIG and learn to use it" bucket. You will LOVE being able to glue Alu together and other projects just seem to materialize...

Chris

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's what I might do in your case. Check around your area and find a professional welding shop that would do the job for you. You will need to bring it into the shop but if it is a roller then there wouldn't be a need to remove it from the trailer, If it's still the bare chassis or nearly bare then that is even better. I would think that four small people could lift onto a trailer. Again they would be able to weld it up in place.

That is 15 minutes' worth of work for a pro as long as you can get it close to his machine in the shop.

On the other hand here's your chance to buy a Tig machine.

Must haves :

Runs on 220 single phase VAC and 50 amp service
200 amps capability and both ac and dc capable
Get an auto-dark helmet with a replaceable battery in the flash filter.
Go to the local gas supplier and tell them you want a 125cf argon tank you can swap with them when it needs refill. Don't buy one used.
You can make your own welding table as your first project.

Anything else is gravy. You can get a perfectly good machine for a lot less than 1000 bucks. See below. You'll use it for the rest of your life

You will pay for it very quickly by saving time and money and trying to find a shop that will do small projects with a quick turnaround.

Or if we can get it into my shop I'll do it for you.

Last edited:

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A lot of guys around here have helium added to the argon. It helps the impurities float out of the weld. Also use a CLEAN stainless steel brush to clean the aluminum before welding. As discussed here.

Light-pressure manual or powered wire brushing with a clean stainless steel wire brush usually removes oxides. The brush should have relatively flexible bristles that are not knotted. Be sure to use this brush only on aluminum and only after removing oil and grease from the aluminum surface

Regards Brian

Back