RBT (ZF), Quaife updates and availability

Hi,
I ordered the transmission for my Mark II (an RBT(ZF)) back in 2017. At the time the Quaife transaxle was on an indefinate hold. Recently, I have been reading posts that appear to say that a new and improved Quaife transaxle is available? Is this true? If so, what's new and improved? Is there still a long delay to actually receive either the RBT (ZF) or the Quaife?

Thanks,
/s/ Chris Kennedy

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Hi,
I ordered the transmission for my Mark II (an RBT(ZF)) back in 2017. At the time the Quaife transaxle was on an indefinate hold. Recently, I have been reading posts that appear to say that a new and improved Quaife transaxle is available? Is this true? If so, what's new and improved? Is there still a long delay to actually receive either the RBT (ZF) or the Quaife?

Thanks,
/s/ Chris Kennedy
Chris,

I don’t know the history details, but the wait times seem to have been resolved. When I ordered mine last August, it was in stock and shipped immediately.

I would give them a call. The international call cost is probably worth it.

Make sure to know if your bell housing kit includes the shaft, bearings and yoke before ordering so you don’t end up with two.

I was advised not to bother with the oil cooler unless racing, and folks on this forum generally don’t recommend the Quaife for high HP racing applications. Not sure if that is based on recent data or from when there were known issues.

Cheers, Randy

Malcolm

Supporter
From my enquiries there is a delivery lead time of about 3 months. The ZFQ is rated for up to 500bhp. From those in the UK i have spoken to who have used on track say they work just fine if you pay attention to the power rating.

Rob Klein

Supporter
Depending on who you have rebuild your zf they could be good for over 800hp. Just depends on how you drive. My last car had over 600 hp and the zf was fine, but I always double clutch on the down shifts.

Personally because of the history I would always want a ZF in the car. You just need to make sure it has been set up properly for the use.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Am I correct that the comments pertaining to wait times are for the Quaife unit? The reason I am asking is that I think I am beginning to have some issues with my RBT (ZF) second gear synchros (though I have read elsewhere that this may be a linkage adjustment issue). To date I have not been particularly enamored with the ZF.

Thanks,
/s/ Chris

Thank you everyone for your replies. Am I correct that the comments pertaining to wait times are for the Quaife unit? The reason I am asking is that I think I am beginning to have some issues with my RBT (ZF) second gear synchros (though I have read elsewhere that this may be a linkage adjustment issue). To date I have not been particularly enamored with the ZF.

Thanks,
/s/ Chris
I placed an order in February for my Quaife QBE62G and will be receiving it before July 4th.

Randy Folsom

Supporter

Thanks,
/s/ Chris
My comments were only in regards to Quaife.

Back