Master of Ceremonies for reunion: David Hobbs!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The 2024 GT Reunion is pleased to announce we have a Master of Ceremonies/Honorary Race Director, one David Hobbs! "Hobbo" as he is known has deep ties to the GT40 having not only driven for JWA but also having driven the Lola MK 6 in its LeMans debut before becoming the concept car for the Ford GT. David will be at the track all three days as well as at Friday evening program. He may be offering laps for passengers in a GT40 for a contribution to the PVGP Charities.

Known for both his race craft
thumbnail_IMG_3725.jpg
and his TV work he is also known as "The always inappropriate David Hobbs" for telling stories that some don't want told! We expect a really good time with David.

davidhobbs.png

David Hobbs​

Personal: Born June 9, 1939; married to Margaret; two children (Greg & Guy); Resides in Florida and Wisconsin.​

Former motorsports analyst, color commentator and host for NBC Sports.

Racing Multiple-champion road racer with a career spanning more than three decades,​

Career starting with a race in his mother’s Morris Oxford in 1959 and extending to the​

Highlights: U.S. Fastmasters Championship in 1993. Accomplishments include winning the SCCA Trans-Am Championship with five victories, driving a DeAtley Racing Corvette, in 1983; 11 race wins in IMSA Camel GT competition; three third place finishes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans; 22 race wins in a seven-year Formula 5000 career, second on the all-time win list, winning the championship in 1971 and second (by one point) in 1969; four Indianapolis 500 races, finishing fifth in 1974; finishing third in his Formula One Grand Prix debut (Syracuse, Sicily) in 1966; and setting a British closed-course speed record of 167.5 mph driving the then-secret Jaguar XJ13 in 1967. The record lasted for 19 years.

Television Most recently David was with NBC Sports co-hosting live coverage of the Formula 1 races from 2013-2017.​

Co-hosted live coverage of Formula One qualifying and races on the​

Career Speed Channel network; also provide commentary on Le Mans, Professional

Highlights: Sports Car and SCCA events, including the Trans-Am and World Sports Car. Began television career with CBS in 1976, appearing on 17 consecutive Daytona 500 broadcasts. This included the 1979 Daytona 500, the first live, flag-to-flag telecast of a NASCAR Winston Cup race. This race, and the large audience rating it received, became a benchmark in the television coverage of auto racing in the United States. Also covered Formula One, USAC and NASCAR events for the network. Joined ESPN in 1987 to provide coverage of Formula One, Le Mans and several U.S. racing series. Recently published his book, Hobbo: The Autobiography of David Hobbs: Motor Racer, Motor Mouth

Business & Hobbs served as chairman of the Wisconsin State Dealer Council 1993-1998 and​

Civic was a member of the National Dealer Council for two years. He is also on the

Highlights: board of the Wisconsin Motorsports Charities and on the Citizen Advisory Board for WUWM Public Radio.

Neil

Supporter
My original post seems to have been removed arbitrarily. Ask Hobbs about his 10th place finish at the 1972 Riverside Can-Am. Tell him "Thank You" but we really would have preferred him to have been awarded that spot
michael-parkes-at-riverside-raceway-ferrari-512m-1972.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My original post seems to have been removed arbitrarily. Ask Hobbs about his 10th place finish at the 1972 Riverside Can-Am. Tell him "Thank You" but we really would have preferred him to have been awarded that spot
.View attachment 138770
You mean this post (44) ??

.View attachment 138770

I hadn't heard this story before, but are you referring to the amazing story about Ray Keller?

BTW, this page says Hobbs finished 5th at Riverside.
It also has a note about the disqualification of car #13 that would have been in 10th place. The note says "Owner drove car on track after the race" (which is described in the story above).

Neil

Supporter
I hadn't heard this story before, but are you referring to the amazing story about Ray Keller?

BTW, this page says Hobbs finished 5th at Riverside.
It also has a note about the disqualification of car #13 that would have been in 10th place. The note says "Owner drove car on track after the race" (which is described in the story above).
A little further down that page was my reply:

Jun 6, 2011

Although his was an old post, I can confirm that Miltonian's "Funny Story - Riverside CanAm 1972", was substantially correct. I was on Bob Peckham's crew during the '72 & '73 Can-Am season. Bob drove his M8C McLaren to an 11th place finish, just behind the Ferrari 512F of Mike Parkes. When the owner jumped into the car and drove it around the track, the car was disqualified and Bob's car moved up to 10th place. It meant a few more $ to us, a totally unsponsored shoestring effort, but I'm sure it must have been a disappointment to Parkes, who worked so hard to place the 512 as high as he had.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Back